Sintra Trip - The Pena Palace

Hello again dear internet strangers! Here I am (late, as always) to tell you all about the Pena Palace. After all the complaining I did ...

Hello again dear internet strangers!

Here I am (late, as always) to tell you all about the Pena Palace.

After all the complaining I did on my previous post about actually getting to the palace (if you haven't read that yet just click here, I walk a lot, UPHILL) I thought I would do something that we could really learn from and so I decided to do some research (in case you are wondering I actually left my house to go to the library and look for a book about Sintra, yes, really old school...) about the palace history and share it here. So here we go!

The story of the Pena Palace begins 178 years ago in 1838 when king Fernando II bought an old monastery built on top of Sintra's mountains. After repairing said monastery (which was in pretty bad shape ) the king decided to extend it and made it one of his residences. The construction of the Pena Palace was finished in 1860 having taken 22 years.

(Picture: http://www.parquesdesintra.pt/parques-jardins-e-monumentos/parque-e-palacio-nacional-da-pena/descricao/)

Besides repairing and expanding the old monastery making it the palace that we know today, King Fernando also ordered the plantation of a surrounding park wich has over five hundred tree species - The Pena Park

For more information about Sintra's parks history as well as prices and tips for your future trip please visit http://www.parquesdesintra.pt

And as usual here are my pictures of the day:















As usual, thank you so much if you read up to this far and hopefully you enjoyed the post and all of the picture. Hope to see you in the next one,

Bye!
____________

Next Up:

Eva's View Of Life: All about getting braces






You Might Also Like

0 comments

Flickr Images